Advantages and description of the Elsanta strawberry variety
Strawberries are the most popular berry adored by both adults and children, which is why they can be found in almost any garden area. But before planting this culture, many summer residents face a difficult choice of a particular variety. In order to save space in the garden and get as much harvest as possible, you should pay attention to Elsanta strawberries. In this article we will talk about the description of this Victoria variety.
Description of the variety of victoria elsanta
Elsanta strawberries were developed in Holland in 1981 by crossing Gorella and Holiday.
Since the breeding of this variety, it has become a kind of yield standard and to this day is the main indicator of quality.
The bushes of the plant grow to medium size, have a weak spreading. An interesting feature is that very few mustaches and sockets are formed on them.
Elsanta strawberries are small, on average, one of them weighs 45-50 grams, they are broad-conical or round in shape. Outside, such fruits are bright red and glossy, and inside are scarlet and very juicy. The taste of such strawberries is sweet, with a slight sourness cause. One of the main advantages of such berries will be their density, due to which they are stored much longer than other varieties, and their transportation does not bring much trouble.
Fruiting of Elsanta occurs in medium terms and lasts long enough, so that up to 1.5 kilograms of berries can be harvested from one bush. The resulting crop can be used for fresh consumption, freezing and preparation of various kinds of blanks.
Subject to all the rules for planting the plant, the first berries can be harvested the next season.
To obtain a high-quality harvest, the planting must be renewed once every 3-4 years.
This variety does not tolerate cold and drought well. Without shelter, such a plant will die if the temperature drops below -14 degrees.
Region of natural growth
Considering that Elsanta was bred in Europe, then a temperate or hot climate will become favorable conditions for its cultivation.
In the best way, this variety will be able to take root in the southern or central region of Russia, where the plant will not be exposed to cold temperatures.
However, it is worth remembering that quite severe frosts can come in central Russia, from which strawberries must be hidden and protected.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Advantages of the variety:
- relatively large berries with excellent taste;
- high yield, thanks to which Elsanta is very popular;
- fruits tolerate transportation well;
- the shelf life of such strawberries at room temperature is 3 days, and if you put the berries in the refrigerator, they will retain their freshness for 5 days;
- the shrub does not need frequent feeding;
- the plant is not afraid of viral diseases, fungal spot and verticillosis.
- poor frost resistance, which does not allow Elsantha to grow in areas with a harsh climate;
- dependence on regular and abundant watering;
- a predisposition to ailments such as root rot and powdery mildew.
Planting and leaving
In order for Elsanta to give a good harvest, you must follow all the rules for planting plants. This strawberry variety is recommended to be planted in autumn, in the second half of September. When planting in spring, there is a risk of getting smaller fruits.
It is also necessary to prepare the beds, for this the earth is carefully dug up, weeded, break up the lumps and watered abundantly with water.
After a day, you can start forming holes and planting plants. Experienced gardeners recommend placing strawberries so that the distance between the rows is 40 centimeters, and between the holes in the same row is 25 centimeters.
The following fertilizers are applied to 1 square meter of soil:
- 3 kilograms of rotted manure or compost;
- 10 grams of potassium chloride;
- 30 grams of superphosphate.
It is best to plant strawberries in cloudy, rainy weather.
The planting process itself is quite simple, and everyone can cope with it. First, the earth is carefully loosened, after which they dig holes 8-10 centimeters deep and put bushes there. After the end of the work, strawberries are watered and mulched with peat, compost or humus.
The variety does not tolerate drought well, therefore the main rule when growing these berries will be sufficient and timely watering. In the first month after planting, the procedure is repeated daily, after which the number of waterings is gradually reduced to 1 time per week. On hot and dry days, Elsanthu is watered once every 4-5 days. It should be borne in mind that 8-10 liters of water are introduced per 1 square meter of planting.
The bushes should be additionally sheltered from the scorching sun and sprayed with foliage in too hot waters.
Another very important procedure there will be timely loosening and weed removal, which is carried out once every two weeks.
Experienced gardeners do not recommend fertilizing this strawberry variety, except for 3 years of life, when the plant is depleted and without additional support, the quantity and quality of the crop can change for the worse.
- At the end of September, at the end of the second fruiting, the bushes are fed with organic and complex mineral fertilizers;
- In the spring, as soon as it snows and the weather is stable, urea or other nitrogen-containing fertilizers are applied under the strawberries.
Using mineral fertilizers, it is best to water the aisles to avoid damage to the foliage of the plant.
Preparing strawberries for winter
Considering that Elsant "does not tolerate the cold, it must be prepared for the onset of winter; for this, several types of work are carried out:
- Pruning leaves;
- Removal of diseased plant parts;
- Treatment of bushes from various kinds of pests;
- Loosening the soil, while it is better to leave the weeds in place, because their removal can damage the root system of strawberries, which may not have time to recover before the first frost;
- Then they carry out abundant water-charging watering and mulch the plant with peat, needles, dry grass or leaves;
- The last step will be to directly shelter the strawberries.
There are two opinions regarding pruning Elsanta:
- One group of gardeners think it's best not to interfere with natural processes or remove leaves before winter comes. This is due to the fact that they can provide additional shelter for the kidneys;
- the second opinion is that pruning the leaves stimulates the plant well, and yields will be higher next year.
In order not to harm the plant during pruning, it is worth remembering that only the leaves and tendrils of the strawberry should be removed directly, while the stems should remain intact.
They cover the bushes after the first frosts have passed. This is necessary in order for them to harden and better survive the winter frost. Spruce branches, straw, dry foliage or special covering material can be used as covering material. Experienced gardeners recommend giving preference to natural materials, because air flows through them, preventing strawberries from rotting and rotting.
Given that the Elsanta strawberry is a hybrid variety, seed propagation is very rarely used, because in this case there is little likelihood of retaining the characteristics of the parent plant.
The process of growing seedlings from seeds is as follows:
- Initially, the seeds are washed and dried thoroughly;
- 2-3 months before planting seedlings in open ground, the seeds are laid out in containers, covered with a thin layer of earth and carefully moistened;
- Further care will include regular and timely watering.
Whisker propagation is only suitable for strong and healthy plants. On each such bush, the most powerful mustache is chosen and bent with a rosette to the ground, the rest of the mustache must be removed. It is necessary to care for such a shoot like a seedling. Plants can be split up a week before transplanting.
In the fall, an adult three-year-old plant is dug out of the ground and divided into several parts, each of which must have a healthy shoot with three leaves.
It is forbidden to prune and handle the roots in any way.
Features of fruiting
The variety brings a huge amount of harvest, which is famous not only for its taste and appearance, but also for its high density. Also, this plant has several more features:
- The first strawberries of this variety can be tasted already at the beginning of June, and if you take proper care of the shrub, it can delight you with delicious berries for 3-4 weeks;
- To maintain the density of the berries, you need to maintain the correct watering regime, that is, during fruiting, the ground under the bush is moistened only after it dries out a little;
- Another feature is that with a lack of sunlight, the tips of the berries do not ripen and remain white.
This variety can be grown both outdoors and in a greenhouse, but many gardeners claim that the plant bears fruit best under cover.
Diseases and pests
The most sensitive part of the plant is the roots, which are susceptible to rot or fungus, which are often impossible to get rid of, and the only way out is to completely remove the shrub.
The following types of work act as preventive measures:
- timely removal of old leaves;
- digging up and burning affected plants;
- moving plantings to a new location every 3-4 years;
- regular weeding and mulching;
- in the fall, during the preparation of the plant for winter, the soil around it is spilled with a solution of Brodsky liquid or copper emulsion.
The terrestrial part of plants rarely suffers various kinds of diseases.
Elsanta strawberries are a kind of standard for this berry culture. The resulting pods have a lot of advantages, and plant care does not require much effort.
The Elsanta strawberry was a cross between Gorella and Holiday by Dutch breeders. The obtained result amazed the specialists, this berry turned out to be so beautiful. It is unlikely that any variety will be able to surpass it in its qualities. Today it is grown more often than others in Europe and Russia.
The plant has a medium early ripening period, a long fruiting period and an average yield level. The bushes are small and compact, they are erect. The leaves are green, with a slight wrinkling and ribbing at the edges, their shape is concave. Whiskers of considerable thickness, medium in length. Flowers of both sexes, small size, white. Ovaries are formed in large quantities.
The fruits of this variety are large in size, weighing up to 50 grams, mostly 30 grams. The taste is sweet, with a pleasant aroma. The shape of the berries is conical, the color is red, bright. The surface of the berries is shiny. The inside is red, there are no voids. The peduncle has good separability. Seeds are yellow, small.
Elsanta has earned universal love. Undoubtedly, every gardener who has tasted strawberries will find a place to plant. This variety is characterized by the "right" berries, and in all respects. They have an attractive shape, good size, unsurpassed taste, in other words, the strawberries of this variety are delicious and beautiful. Such strawberries will weigh on average 30-35 grams, and if she likes how you care for them, the weight can reach 45 grams (one berry).
The main advantages include excellent taste characteristics, beautiful fruit shape, increased plant resistance to diseases. The Elsanta strawberry, whose description is extremely positive, has a high yield, which explains its incredible popularity.
Pros and cons of Elsanta strawberry varieties
The grouped characteristics make it possible to quickly assess the rationality of growing the Elsanta variety. Among the advantages, agrarians distinguish:
- Tempering ability. Strawberries quickly increase resistance to adverse factors and overall endurance if the bushes are deprived of mineral supplements. In addition, this is a factor in the increased budget of the variety.
- Consistent high yields, which are the main reason for the commercial cultivation of Elsanta.
- Does not require regular feeding.
- Versatility of application. Elsanta is a fresh strawberry used for freezing, preservation, making jams, preserves, compotes.
- Low winter hardiness. The bushes can withstand frosts only up to -14 ° C.
- Disease susceptibility - powdery mildew, root rot.
These are the main characteristics, and some gardeners also note a strong dependence on watering.
Elsanta strawberries: description of the variety and recommendations for growing
Recently, the Elsanta strawberry is gaining more and more popularity among summer residents and gardeners, the description of the variety of which makes it possible to understand that it was bred in 1981 in Holland as a result of crossing Holiday and Gorella berries. This strawberry has become a kind of standard, since it fits almost all the criteria that gardeners impose on such a berry.
Elsanta strawberries are characterized primarily by high yields, as well as by the following parameters:
- A small number of mustaches and rosettes appear on the bushes.
- The berries have a wide conical shape, just look at their photo for this. In addition, strawberries have a strong sheen, which is why they are often called "varnished".
- The first fruits of the berries have light tips, and the flesh can have a bright pink or bright red hue.
- This variety can be medium or large in size. The average weight of the berries is 40-45 g.
- The berries have an average ripening period.
- Strawberries have a very pronounced taste and increased juiciness.
- The yield reaches 2 kg per plant.
- The stem of the berries comes off very easily.
- Strawberries have good gravity. Therefore, it tolerates transportation over long distances and is stored at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- This strawberry variety is highly resistant to all kinds of spots, including brown and white. However, this berry variety is quite susceptible to powdery mildew. But it must be borne in mind that the plant is prone to decay of the roots, which is why moderate watering and correctly selected soil are so important.
- Elsanta strawberry bushes are of medium size. They grow well in film tunnels. This variety is also suitable for planting in open ground.
- Strawberries are not highly frost-resistant. Therefore, in the winter season, it will be necessary to make shelters and mulch the soil.
Elsanta strawberry: variety description (video)
Planting and growing rules
According to the reviews of gardeners and summer residents, it is best to plant this variety of strawberries in the fall. The fact is that if you leave such work for the spring, then the fruits will be small. At the same time, you should not start planting bushes earlier than September. The optimal time for this is early October.
Elsanta garden strawberries should be planted in moist soil, while it is important to keep the distance between the bushes during this process.It should be about 40 cm. It is best to use the two-lane method. The distance between the rows of strawberries should not be less than 25 cm. After planting the seedling, it is important to carefully tamp the soil around it. This must be done so that after a while the roots of the plant do not crawl out, because this will lead to their freezing.
After planting all the bushes, you will need to water the beds abundantly.
Fertilizing the berry is not worth it. The fact is that this can lead to a deterioration in yield.
In addition, fertilizers can negatively affect the shape of the berries, which is highly undesirable. And one more disadvantage of feeding this kind of strawberry is a decrease in its resistance to most negative factors. So, strawberries, which are regularly fertilized, begin to wilt quickly during extreme heat. The same bushes that are not fed can easily withstand the summer heat. Gardeners are advised to use fertilizers only in the third year, when the bushes are grown for berry picking for the last time.
Also read: Early and popular raspberry "Sun"
As is clear from the description of the variety of this strawberry, it is very important to maintain an optimal level of moisture in the soil of the beds. So, after planting in the first 10 days, you need to water the bushes moderately, but almost every day. Then, for another 10 days, it is required to moisten the soil abundantly, but with an interval of several days. After that, the seedlings can be prepared for winter by mulching and taking care of the cover for them from the film.
With the onset of spring, you will need to weed the beds. It is important to remove all weeds and then start watering frequently. When the berry begins to bear fruit, it is often not necessary to moisturize the soil abundantly, but you will need to make sure that it does not dry out completely.
How to plant strawberries (video)
Having studied the description of the Elsanta variety, it is not difficult to understand that this strawberry is a good option for planting in the country or in the garden. She will delight with her unpretentiousness and good harvest. Will meet all expectations and taste of Elsanta strawberries.
Did you find a mistake in the text? Please select it and press Ctrl + Enter. Thank you!
Well, what can I say, this variety was adopted for a long time as a standard, there is nothing surprising in the fact that I am delighted. I planted Elsanthu six years ago and since then every year, at the beginning of summer, I have been collecting absolutely delicious berries. Very large, they are equally good both fresh and frozen, and in the form of jam or other blanks. Not to say that this is the most fruitful strawberry, but the quality of the berries can cover this minus.
The best strawberries ever! Elsanta is famous for its taste - this is really the best strawberry, the berries are large, sweet, of the correct shape, they are rarely affected by any diseases. At the same time, it is very easy to care for - water, pull out weeds nearby, that's all. Two squares of bushes are enough for my family and the family of my children.
I planted Elsantu a year ago, although I have heard positive reviews for a long time. The first harvest simply surprised me - the berries are huge, although there are not very many of them. In this case, the bush itself just needs to be watered and constantly sprayed with water - this will be absolutely enough for full growth.
Diseases, pests and control of them
Elsanta is very resistant to viral diseases, verticillium wilting and ticks. Powdery mildew and bacterial spots are affected in the same way as most popular varieties. The most sensitive part is the roots, they can rot and be subject to fungal attacks. Most often, it is impractical to treat such lesions, the bushes are completely removed.
Prevention of root diseases:
- before planting seedlings, the roots are disinfected
- avoid waterlogging of the soil
- control over fertilization - it is important not to provoke the reproduction of parasites.
Table 2 shows common diseases and pests that can seriously harm Estelle's strawberry plantings.
Prevention of diseases and pests:
- destruction of dry, diseased strawberry foliage
- digging up and destroying diseased bushes
- moving plantings after 3-4 years of cultivation
- weeding and mulching
- autumn tillage with Bordeaux liquid or copper emulsion.
Most diseases and pests of strawberries can be dealt with with the help of infusions and decoctions of herbs and other improvised means. Chemicals are used as a last resort - when the problem is running.